Turn software update?

While UCCNC does not currently have a TURN Modual Here is the place to discuss your wants and wishes for TURN

Re: Turn software update?

Postby rodrigjup@gmail.com » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:07 pm

@cncdrive

I have just configured Mach4Lathe with motors, steps per unit, limit/home switches settings and its working fine. Have run a 5 line MDI script to move X and Z axis forward and home and its working beautifully so far. Can you please elaborate on what Mach4 part/function does not work with UC300Eth ? I can send video.

Good news is that it has not failed on comms error for over an hour, which is promising.

Perhaps you are correct with plugins being the issue ? Now the challenge is to find out if anyone has Mach3Lathe working with UC300eth and if so , what versions (plugins, software, firmware) are they using ?

First would like to know what exactly will go wrong with Mach4 UC300Eth combination please ?

Rgds
rodrigjup@gmail.com

Postby cncdrive » Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:52 pm

Realtime operations are what are not implemented in our Mach4 plugin yet.
Realtime operations are: laser M10/11 control, Thread cutting (lathe), rigid tapping (mill), THC control (plasma)
These operations require realtime operation on the motion controller when the motion controller takes over the control from the software and controlling standalone and just feeding back data to the computer software.
The above mentioned functions are all the realtime operations which we know about and which are implemented in our Mach3 plugin and UCCNC software, but not in our Mach4 plugin.

This means that on lathe you cannot cut threads with MAch4 using the G32/33 and G76 codes.
You might be able to cut thread if you have a step/dir spindle (E,g. an AC servomotor control with a servo drive with step/dir signals) and if you switching that to a rotary axis, e.g. C axis, but it is an unconventional and non userfriendly way of cutting threads.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby rodrigjup@gmail.com » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:24 pm

@cncdrive

Noted thank-you. I can do with manual threading for now, still have a ways to go before i'm ready for threading work.

I have just received my handwheel rotary pulse encoders. Plan is to have separate wheel encoders installed for each X,Z plane (future Y as well) in the same position as the original manual handwheels. They are 5V, NPN type so I plan to connect spare UCBB connector CN2 inputs on the UCBB board and borrow power from its 5V output terminal.

I also plan to link up my spindle VSD with UC300eth controller. My WEG VFD can be configured for 0-10V or 4-20mA. Haven't seen much data on UC300ETH manual in this regard. I imagine if I could;
1. Connect the VFD speed 0-10V input to the UCBB board via a PWM (Not sure what the max output switch rate is) to 0-10V converter or,
2. Connect the VFD speed 0-10V input direct to the UC300eth analogue output (non-isolated) port ? Although I imagine this does pose a risk connecting a high frequency device to a CNC controller. I installed VFD in a separate panel to avoid interference with rest of the controller circuitry which I installed in its own Server PC panel.

So far my research has come up with ;
--The UCCNC manual refers to 6 aux encoder inputs and I guess these can be assigned as X,Y,Z manual dial gauges although the manual only alludes to one handheld MPG unit with axis selector switch.
-- I can't find anything useful on Mach4 ability to configure individual manual dial encoders (not a one MPG for all axis) for each axis.
-- Did a VFD, VSD search on the forum but haven't found anything solid regards 0-10V control circuitry.

Any advice appreciated.
rodrigjup@gmail.com

Postby ger21 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:26 pm

1) UCCNC only allows one MPG.
2) Haven't followed Mach4 development for a long time.
3) For the VFD, either option will work. At one time, I bought the components to make a ribbon cable to connect the analog port to a DB15 breakout board, but never used it. Bought a UB-1 instead.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby Dazp1976 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:21 pm

ger21 wrote:1) UCCNC only allows one MPG.
2) Haven't followed Mach4 development for a long time.
3) For the VFD, either option will work. At one time, I bought the components to make a ribbon cable to connect the analog port to a DB15 breakout board, but never used it. Bought a UB-1 instead.

I bought a DB15 ribbon cable and screw terminal block for mine too. Then realised that 2 simple Dupont 2.54mm wires plugged into it. Go figure :roll:
Dazp1976

Postby CL_MotoTech » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:00 pm

Robertspark wrote:what do you find wrong with Linux or linuxcnc?

I appreciate the learning curve is steep but once you get a working config it just works

I used to be one of those guys who wanted a newer looking GUI with better "features" then saw the light of the simplicity of AXIS.... it just works and can be tweaked for other things (wrong forum I know but I'm always keen to learn others experience .... I may come back to uccnc if it develops beyond linuxcnc which is possible)

I don't have anything against Linux per se. I am well versed in it (run it on a server in my home and on my 3d printer), I would just rather run Windows for my mill and lathe controls at this time. Native use of Fusion on the control being the prime advantage, the disadvantages being less than I gain with Linux. For those that want to really customize their control LinuxCNC is probably the way to go. I guess I am too basic, but I never have any issues with UCCNC even with 300 day uptimes on my mill.
CL_MotoTech

Postby rodrigjup@gmail.com » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:38 pm

So I have finally wired up the lathe X and Z handwheel encoders on the BOB but regardless of how I manipulate the Mach4 settings, both handwheels control the X axis only. :o
I imagine its defaulted the non-existent axis selection switch (that you would find on an MPG pendant) to the X axis.
Is there a way to get UC300ETH to recognise each handwheel to its own axis ?
Something does not make sense. How do the mpg controllers perform axis selection, through their oem plugins perhaps ?

Any advice appreciated.
rodrigjup@gmail.com

Postby rodrigjup@gmail.com » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:37 pm

Or if there is a mach4 plugin for a uc300eth mpg pendant then I can use it and connect a custom microcontroller to multiplex the handwheel encoders and interrupt the axis selection.
rodrigjup@gmail.com

Postby cncdrive » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:19 am

Our Mach4 plugin can handle one MPG only.
I think only a pendant which connects via USB port and has it's own plugin could work with both axes becuase then the plugin would handle the 2 axis MPG jogging for MAch4, but I don't know if a device like that is available on the market or not.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby rodrigjup@gmail.com » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:39 pm

Hi,

Managed to get both the Z and X handwheel encoders working nicely with UC300ETH on MACH4!
Also managed to get VFD spindle speed control but not sure exactly how it functions (think is using signal ID's)

Did my first gcode trial run on an aluminum bar and she cuts very nicely. surface looks polished when its done and so far worst case repeatability was 30 micron.

XY hand dials encoders.JPG
X Z encoders on my cardboard box pendant ))

Dropbox link should anyone like to see some progress photos;
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qsyo9mzz6gnk ... -Og5a?dl=0
rodrigjup@gmail.com

PreviousNext

Return to UCCNC TURN (CNC Lathe)