UCCNC dual probes - again

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

UCCNC dual probes - again

Postby bhdavis » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:34 pm

UCCNC Ver 1.2111

I'm still trying to get my 2nd probe working.

Probe #1: CNC4PC TP-1 using the C48 control board. Set up on Pin 15 / Port 1

Probe #2: Generic N/C push button switched pad probe. Set up on Pin 12 / Port 2

My issue is that either one will work if the other one does not have a Pin / Port assignment in the I/O Configuration settings. The other one has to be set a Pin 0 / Port 0 for one of them to work. Even if I assign a Pin / Port number not actually in use on one of them the other one will not work. I have tried every combination of pin, port and ACTIVE LOW check mark combinations.

By not work I mean I get this error messag shown in the image below.

So I think this is a UCCNC issue where perhaps I'm missing getting something set up correctly. Or perhaps it's an old issue that has been resolved in newer versions of UCCNC.

I'd rather stay with UCCNC Ver. 1.2111 as I have a lot of time in customizing the screen. But I could upgrade to the current version if the consensus here is that needs to be done.

Thanks,
BH

Capture.JPG
bhdavis

Re: UCCNC dual probes - again

Postby bhdavis » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:03 pm

Oops.......2nd probe is Normally Open I believe.
bhdavis

Postby ger21 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:54 am

Just look at the two inputs on the diagnostic page. That will tell you which probe is "active". Then just toggle the active low setting for that input.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby bhdavis » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:17 pm

Gerry. Thanks.

I thought I'd done every possible combination of ACTIVE LOW and pin/port settings but thanks to your suggestion I made a chart and tried every possible combination.

What I've found is that both probes need to be ACTIVE LOW in order to work. But if both are ACTIVE LOW at the same time then neither one works.

Probe 2 is a simple NORMALLY CLOSED touch button passing 5v+ back to PORT 2 -- PIN 12 that I'm adding to the system as a tool measure probe with my tool rack.

Probe 1 is the CNC4PC TP1 with the C48 control board going to PORT 1 --- PIN 15 that I've always used for my material touch down. This doesn't read NO or NC when tested so I suspect there is no circuit completion without it being powered up.

Other than getting rid of the TP1 / C48 setup and doing a second probe just like Probe 2 and using a different pin/port, or simple putting that new one in series with the current tool measure Probe 2, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
BH
bhdavis

Postby bhdavis » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:07 pm

SOLVED. Sort of anyway.

I tested for the 2nd NC touch probe and everything works as it should. I'm swapping out the TP1 / C48 for the 2nd NC probe and that will solve the problem. I suppose I'll leave the TP-1 in place in case I ever want to do some 3D probing but it will be disconnected until then.
bhdavis

Postby ger21 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:11 am

Sounds like maybe an issue with your breakout board? Have you asked CNC4PC about this?
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby bhdavis » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:30 am

Gerry,

I've communicated with Arturo on this. He thinks it's a complicated wiring job to get working and wants to give me a break on a replacement probe setup that takes two probes instead of the one my older C48 add-on board takes. Since I was never crazy about that probe in the first place it seemed like the wrong route to take.

For now I'm just going to add the 2nd probe from Amazon in series with the one I bought from them for the tool touch down. This one will be portable for my material touch down. Since they are both NC putting them in series on the same pin/port works just fine. Plus they have a plunge limit switch incorporated which makes it even better. I'm running a new wire through the cable carriers today to accommodate it, and will leave the old TP-1 setup in place in case I ever want to do spindle mounted 3D probing in which case I would just temporarily change the I/O settings. Problem solved.

I also thought about just upgrading to the latest UCCNC version and dealing with creating a new screen file. That's a big project though so I'll hold off for now. Thinking was that maybe it was something with the older version wouldn't let me access both probes when both were set to ACTIVE LOW. I like the newer screen with Ver. 1.2113 and will most likely eventually get around to doing the update.

Thanks for staying in touch on this.

BH
bhdavis

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software