Probing - first XY rapid then Z...

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Probing - first XY rapid then Z...

Postby kucharzb » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:59 am

Hello,

i'm having a problem grasping the subject of manual tool change probing. I downloaded the M6 macro recommended in forum and it works according to my expectations (moves to position, asks to change the tool, then measures and comes back), but probing the workpiece at the beginning is a mystery to me, at least why it behaves this way.

What I am doing:
0) I go to mobile probe position and set it up as "mobile probe position" at lets say Z-20.
1) I go to material
2) I lower the Tool1 to the surface
3) I zero the Z axis to workpiece
4) I save the current as workpiece
And now - it wants to measure the tool against workpiece (makes sense), but what I expect would be: first go up to Z0 or generally high to avoid collisions, do rapid to mobile probe, do rapid to save Z, then probing. Then rapid Z0 (or generally high), then rapid XY to original workpiece position, then rapid to Z3 for example (so just a above material).

instead, the probing FIRST does XY movements to mobile probe position, which means if I have tool on the Z0 (material) it scratches the surface or I am risking breaking the tool, then it goes to safe Z, then lowers to probe and worse even after probing, it does the same, first in the low position rapid XY then go up to Z0.

here the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kQCTLzYT78

what am I missing? what do I not understand? :) how to change its behaviour?

thanks
kucharzb

Re: Probing - first XY rapid then Z...

Postby dezsoe » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:38 pm

You didn't show the setup page, but I'm sure that the "Greater Z is safer in G17" is not turned on. You also have to set the Safe Z in machine coords in the same frame. The checkbox controls how to move to a new position: if it is checked then it will travel on the higher Z (higher of the current or the Safe Z), if not then it selects the lower.
dezsoe

Re: Probing - first XY rapid then Z...

Postby kucharzb » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:04 pm

"Greater Z is safer in G17"

thanks - this was the source of the problem, now it works like it should :)
kucharzb

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software