Mostly clueless user - looking for help and advice...

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Mostly clueless user - looking for help and advice...

Postby mattyD » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:23 am

Hey all,

I run a couple of c02 lasers and have a basic knowledge of CNCs, but as you'll find out if you keep reading it's not particularly in-depth knowledge of CNCs! But anyway...

Im considering buying a Workbee CNC, its a DIY kit that occasionally pops up on the used market. But it looks like the Workvee comes with a simple controller that has a 3-motor limit, and I need more than this as I wish to add an oscillating tangential Knife unit. The model that I'm looking at is the Stepcraft model (link below). It has two additional stepper motors (one deals with oscillation and the other with rotation I believe)

According to the manual the tangential knife unit can be fitted to other CNCs and it needs UCCNC to run

It's my understanding that the knife unit combined with the standard CNC will have a total of 5 stepper motors, so the controller needs to cover that.

that's the background. My question is two-fold

Which controller would you recommend? and...

The knife unit is connected via a D-Sub-15 connection cable - What would I need to buy to allow this cable to connect to the controller?

https://shop.stepcraft-systems.com/Osci ... d-M-Series

the manual
https://www.stepcraft-systems.com/image ... K-3-v1.pdf

For those interested as to why I wish to buy an oscillating knife rather than a drag knife - simply because I want better control over tight angles and depth of cut. This will be cutting simple foam board (not taxing), at a depth of 5mm -10mm. And I need crisp, tight angles and a perfectly clean cut. We did try the laser but the results where pretty terrible, not to mention toxic.
mattyD

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software