CAM for Solidworks for Hobby 3+2 Axis or 3+1 Axis

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

CAM for Solidworks for Hobby 3+2 Axis or 3+1 Axis

Postby trendsetter » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:10 pm

Hi all,

I have bought Solidworks for Maker and I am currently searching for a CAM software for an Hobbiest for a reasonable pr. Ideal would be a 3+2 Axis soltuion, which is easy to use and for a reasonable price or free. HSM express I was used to, but does not work with the newest SW Version.
Any proposals? Including a postprocessor for UCCNC

Within the Makerverion of Solidworks it also comes with Shop Floor Planing. Has someone experience with that?

BR
Michael
trendsetter

Re: CAM for Solidworks for Hobby 3+2 Axis or 3+1 Axis

Postby trendsetter » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:01 pm

Does anyone have any clue? What CAM Software you are using for UCCNC?
trendsetter

Postby mark68 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:59 pm

Solidcam now has a free hobby version for Solidworks with a Mach3 postprocessor which g code will work with UCCNC.
mark68

Postby 86bg » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:53 am

Camworks/Solidworks CAM keeps you in the same software, but Fusion 360 dominates in the CAM space because HSMWorks is slowly being phased out. What type of machining do you do?
86bg

Postby jadeteng » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:15 am

Try TubesThttps://www.fscut.com/en/soft/tubest/?utm_source=forum&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=test_forum&utm_id=00
Here is an introduction
"3D tube nesting software designed for CypTube/TubePro laser cutting system. From parts drawing and modification, full type compensation, strategic nesting to report generation, using TubesT will meet and exceed your production needs."
jadeteng

Postby cseyler » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:28 pm

As said before : https://www.solidcam.com/21/subscriptio ... r-version/

They released a maker version only with post-processor limitation (mach3/4 is included which works for uccnc)
cseyler

Postby trendsetter » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:18 pm

86bg wrote:Camworks/Solidworks CAM keeps you in the same software, but Fusion 360 dominates in the CAM space because HSMWorks is slowly being phased out. What type of machining do you do?

thanks for the answers, I was busy in the meantime. Solidworks Cam runs now, but I had no time to get more deepy into that. It seems it is also limited to 2.5 Axis.
For shop floor Machinieing I found a tutorial. It seems the more powerful tool. What surprises me a little bit, that also the CAM software except HSMWorks looks very old in the usability and is non intuitive.

I have a portal machine using most the time 2.5 milling. sometime 3 axis. I built a 4th axis but have not used it up to now. Time is limited, I need something, which is intuitive like HSMworks.
On the other side, it might be interesting also to look into stand alone SW. To avoid that kind of version collisioning.
Any recomendations are welcone.

BR
Michael
trendsetter

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software