Advice on Proximity switches

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Advice on Proximity switches

Postby leadheaded01 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:01 am

I have a newly acquired used Router and have converted it to UCCNC. All is well except for two damaged proximity switches.
I have replaced them with "apparently" the same specification. I actually tried two types. 5/12 volts and 6/12 volts. Both will signal proximity, but the LED is very dim and does not register on the diagnostics page. (the original good one does register) Whereas the originals have a very bright LED`s on both the remaining good one and a broken one which no longer has a switch function. The measured supply voltage is 5.2 and I suspect the new ones either need ~6 volts or I have something missing in my UCCNC settings
All switches are set NC. I have tried them NO and no difference.
If there is anything please in the setup that might ring a bell with you? I would be most grateful for for your help.

Rod
leadheaded01

Re: Advice on Proximity switches

Postby Dazp1976 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:22 pm

leadheaded01 wrote:I have a newly acquired used Router and have converted it to UCCNC. All is well except for two damaged proximity switches.
I have replaced them with "apparently" the same specification. I actually tried two types. 5/12 volts and 6/12 volts. Both will signal proximity, but the LED is very dim and does not register on the diagnostics page. (the original good one does register) Whereas the originals have a very bright LED`s on both the remaining good one and a broken one which no longer has a switch function. The measured supply voltage is 5.2 and I suspect the new ones either need ~6 volts or I have something missing in my UCCNC settings
All switches are set NC. I have tried them NO and no difference.
If there is anything please in the setup that might ring a bell with you? I would be most grateful for for your help.

Rod

The many budget ones all run off 6-36v.
You should do a specific search for a 5v running version.

'proximity switch 5v'
Dazp1976

Postby leadheaded01 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:21 pm

Gentlemen I have found the appropriate proximity switches and they function properly with a bright LED when approached by a metallic surface.
Now I believe I have possibly a software problem as the new proximity switches to not register in the diagnostics or on the hard limit light in the status monitor. The original X axis switch registers as it should with three green lights plus the status monitor illuminates red.
Switches are on pins 10, 12, and 13 respectively and all on port 1 Active low.
Am I missing something dumb here.
Any suggestions gratefully explored.
leadheaded01

Postby leadheaded01 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:45 am

Sorted!
After measuring inputs and outputs it was clear that the 5v p/switches where not returning enough power to trigger the system. So added 1k resistor to the output and ground. Lo and behold everything is working perfectly. A problem I have never experienced before. It is a Mickey Mouse system.
Hope this may help others with this strange condition.
leadheaded01

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software