Probe tool issue

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Probe tool issue

Postby Morfeus80 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:41 am

Hi all,

I have an issue with the "Probe tool" when instead of starting the probing routine from z=0, I need to start it from an higher z to avoid collision between the workpiece and the tool.
I have tried to enable the "Axis 1 Count Gage" option and set as "Gage height" the z position of my tool, but it doesn't look to change anything, because after the probing my tool goes back to the stating position but zeroes the z axis without taking in account the gage.
I tried also to disable the "Zero Probed axis" option, but then after probing nothing happens.

Is there any combination of these settings should work? Or is it mandatory to start from z=0?
Morfeus80

Re: Probe tool issue

Postby Morfeus80 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:24 am

I have looked around and I could not find a solution to my issue, but an user told me that the Gage offset was working properly for him, so could it be a bug introduced with version 1.2114 that is the one I am actually using?
Morfeus80

Postby dezsoe » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:13 pm

Can you write some details about what do you want to do exactly? (All the steps.)
dezsoe

Postby Morfeus80 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:50 am

Ideally my procedure is the following one:
1- home the machine
2- zero the axis on my workpiece
3- put the end mill above the workpiece at z=5 and then "reference current as workpiece"
4- run my code
5- change the tool
6- "probe" the tool to apply the tool length difference

My problem is at point 3, because after having referenced my tool, when it goes back to the starting position that had z=5, it displays z=0. I have tried this procedure with "axis 1 count gage" both enabled and disabled typing 5 in the gage height field, but I can't see any difference.
I have tried to disable "zero probes axis" , but in this case the problem becomes at point 6, because it doesn't offset the new tool.
Morfeus80

Postby dezsoe » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:10 am

Reference current means that the current position is the zero point of the workpiece, so you have to touch the workpiece with the tool and then press the reference current button. It is designed to be used if you cannot probe the workpiece with a sensor but a piece of paper or similar. (Gage height and Axis 1 count gage also works here: you may have a higher gage to set the work zero.) Of course, you need to have the zero axis switch on to zero the axis.
dezsoe

Postby Morfeus80 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:45 am

Ok, but why if I start from z=5 with gage height set at 5 and "count gage height" enabled, when I press "reference current as workpiece ", it starts to probe to the mobile probe position and then goes back to the starting position but resetting z to 0? I need that z remains 5...
Morfeus80

Postby dezsoe » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:52 am

That's strange. What is the version of UCCNC?
dezsoe

Postby Morfeus80 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:28 am

I am using 1.2114
Morfeus80

Postby dezsoe » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:07 am

Getting stranger... However, in 1.2114 there are some tools to debug your problem. Please, follow these steps:

- Enable the Console plugin. (You have to restart UCCNC.)
- Show the Console plugin and right-click in it. In the menu select Turn debug on/off, then select Probing.dll.
- You can close or hide the console window.
- Repeat your procedure as you wrote before. (Start from 5mm, reference, etc.)
- Open/show console window and right-click. Select Copy to clipboard and paste into Notepad.
- Save this text and upload here for checking.
dezsoe

Postby Morfeus80 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:08 pm

Hi Dezsoe,

I have followed your steps fpr the debugging and I stopped it already after the "Reference current as workpiece", because when the tool went back to the original position z=0 after probing, it displayed z=0, even if gage height is set to 5.
You can find the debugging console output enclosed:
ProbeDebugging.txt
(5.05 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Morfeus80

Next

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software