1.2112 screenset

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Re: 1.2112 screenset

Postby Spuds » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:47 pm

GOOD !!!
Thanks Gerry,
:)
Spuds

Postby Nedsmith » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:53 pm

I must agree with rmtucker, the original screens were just right, why try and fix something that isn't broken. Nedsmith
Nedsmith

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:15 pm

We not fixing anything. The screen was changed because according to statistics nowadays only about 4% of the monitor screens on the world remained with 3:4 ratio and the rest are all 16:9 or similar widescreen formats.
So, it was time to change to the new format and since the 16:9 is wider and less tall than the 4:3 therefor we must change things anyways and so we integrated all things which we have learnt in the years about customers requirements about GUI.

And that is fine, we knew that there will be some users who will not like any changes, but for those users it is still an option to use the old screen if they do not want to see any change.
And if you have the thinking of "do not fix if it is not broken", then you do not even have to install the new version and then nothing will change for you. :)
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:27 pm

Spuds wrote:Hi, I downloaded 1.2112 and get this error.
Click continue and just get a blank gray screen.
What can I do to get the new release ?
Thanks

Yes, it is an API compilation error of the 32bits API file, we will fix this soon under the same release version as it is only a broken API file.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Vmax549 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:08 pm

Most of what I see and run across with CNC is teh 5:4 format and I don't know of many commercial controllers that use teh widescreen format. Where did you find that statistic that there is only 4% left using teh older format ?? Most of teh good deals on new monitors are also 5:4 format. Just a thought

That mean everyone will have to upgrade their monitor and video system if they are to stay current with UCCNC updates as I am sure you will not work on teh older screens to keep them updated to new functions.

It is what it is I guess :P

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby Vmax549 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:42 pm

While we are talking obsolete how much longer will you support 32 bit mode for UCCNC. Also just for the record teh old old 4:3 aspect ratio was a OLD TV format.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby Vmax549 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:45 pm

While we are talking obsolete how much longer will you support 32 bit mode for UCCNC. I am not sure how many 32 bit boards can support the widescreen format. Not absolutely sure but I do know that all teh 32 bit boards I have running here will not support that mode directly. Even with Video addon boards there may not be drivers available to run it.

Also just for the record teh old old 4:3 aspect ratio was a OLD TV format.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:53 pm

It was an internet poll about what monitor ratio do you have. If I recall a few tens of thousands of people participated. I don't remember where it was, I have research this topic before we started making the new screenset and so it was a few months ago.

No, that is incorrect that you have to update your graphics system, because first of all basically any graphics cards which can drive a 4:3 can also drive a 16:9 monitor, so you have to change the monitor only.
Second, nowadays 4:3 monitors are rare to find and they already in the hard to get cathegory and 16:9 format monitors are already factors cheaper, because they are mass produced.
Third, you can update to the new UCCNC version and can go to the Appearance screen, press the select screenset button and select the old screenset and restart UCCNC and voila, you have the old screenset.
5:4 format is for old industrial CNC controllers, nowadays, there are many different ratios used, for example DMG Mori is using somekind of strange taller than wider ratio screen in their newest controllers.
However computers and also CNC-ing changed a lot in the recent about 10 years, nowadays many machines run from home computers on Windows instead of from a CNC control panel built by a company exactly for CNC control purpose. So, times changing...

We will keep working on updating both screensets for some time and will see users reactions, I mean if about nobody will use the old screenset anymore then we will stop updating that, but time will tell that.
Attachments
cmx-v-series-control-picture.png
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:56 pm

Supporting 32bits mode is not a problem, it is just compiling the code with x86 directive instead of x64, so it is basically a half minute work for us per deployment to keep supporting it.
We have no plans to stop supporting it.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby CL_MotoTech » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:17 am

Well, I absolutely love this new screenset and can't wait to give it run!
CL_MotoTech

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software