Combine Raster and Vector in Same Laser Project.

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Combine Raster and Vector in Same Laser Project.

Postby prevel » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:51 pm

I am a new UCCNC convert and I have been using it for about 3 or 4 months now on a 4x4 joes cnc I built and I love it so far. I was using Mach3 before that. Now I have an endurance 10 watt + laser that is working out really well also. But now I have a need to combine Raster and Vector in the same project and for the life of me can't seem to figure out how. I used light burn for a k40 I had last year and loved it but now that I am using a cnc with a laser add on I am finding it difficult to find the right software for the job. I normally use Aspire for all my vector work and Gimp for my raster work.
prevel

Re: Combine Raster and Vector in Same Laser Project.

Postby 3d0g » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:49 am

It's going to have to be a 2 step process, but if your cut and engrave have the same origin it shouldn't be a problem. I use Inkscape for everything and separate my engrave and cuts into layers. My workflow looks like this:

1. Select all on engrave layer in Inkscape, save as a png, resetting x0 and y0 both to 0 so the engrave origin will match cutting.
2. In UCCNC I set the X backlash to 0.02 as the laserengrave plugin won't work right for me without it.
3. Run the laserengrave plugin bring in the png, set the width and height to match the Inkscape export numbers and send the code to UCCNC.
4. Set power for engrave on laser and cycle start.
5. While the engrave is running I go back to Inkscape, bring up the cut layer and save it as a dxf.
6. I use CAMBAM for gcode generation so I load the dxf in CAMBAM, define an engrave operation, set the feedrate as appropriate for material, and generate the gcode nc file.
7. Once the engrave completes I goto zero, clear out the X backlash, reset power for cutting and load the cut nc file. Cycle start and once the cut is finished, job done!

3d0g

Postby prevel » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:48 am

Thank you! I will post results when I try this.
prevel

Postby prevel » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:22 pm

I followed your instructions and made a simple image ( my wife's name ) and exported it as a png. I imported the image into uccnc ( I can see the image in the preview pane ) but when I hit run all the laser engraves is one single black line from left to right. I tried all three choices at the top and get the same result ( grey scale, half tone, and black and white) I only get this result when I use a .png. I can load a .jpg and it works as it should but of course Inkscape only exports as .png. Has anyone experienced this?
prevel

Postby dezsoe » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:55 am

If I can recall the transparent color in the png is your problem. Try to export black on white without transparent.
dezsoe

Postby prevel » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:30 am

Ok thank you very much I will try that.
prevel

Postby 3d0g » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:24 pm

Yup, jpeg doesn't typically have an alpha channel. In Inkscape, if you go to the document properties, there's a place to change the background to white, eliminating the alpha. Alternately, open the png in Windows paint and save it back. Paint doesn't support alpha and strips it upon saving.
3d0g

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software