APIs released

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

APIs released

Postby Vmax549 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:25 pm

Does the fact that you have released the UCCNC APIs free of charge and without license restrictions mean that developement of UCCNC control software will end soon ??

Just curious, (;-) TP
Vmax549

Re: APIs released

Postby cncdrive » Wed May 01, 2019 4:34 pm

Not at all. It only means that special softwares can be developed by developers.
For example when the application requires just 2 buttons, one which moves an axis to one position and the other to another position then it is an overkill to use the UCCNC.
And there can be applications which are unoptimal to run with a CNC optimised control software, then the user can develop their own usually simpler applications using the API and doing some coding.
And for simple applications if the programmer will make a simple GUI then their software could run on a much cheaper computer which is cost effective when you build e.g. 1000pcs special machines of the same type annually, then if the PC is $10 less costy that is already $10000 less overal cost. :)
So, we thought to release the API to developers. We had this plan for about 3 years now, but felt that the API is complete enough for release only now.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Wed May 01, 2019 4:37 pm

And it is not the UCCNC API, I mean it does not have g-code interpreter at all. The API contains the low level motion control functionality like linear interpolation, arc interpolation, I/O toggling etc.
If you will download the software and take a look at the C# wrapper then you will see that those functions are much lower level than interpreting g-codes.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Wed May 01, 2019 4:41 pm

On the other hand the API could be used to write an UCCNC identical software (because the UCCNC is communicating via the motion controller only through the API), but the UCCNC is so complex, you know it required more than 5 years about everyday work to get to the point where we are at now.
So, I doubt that anybody will write this complex software using the API, because who are capable to do this (have enough knowledge) could likely capable to even design and build their own motion controller electronics.
But when a simpler and special application is required then the API will be handy for developers.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Wed May 01, 2019 4:43 pm

And BTW, using the API, loading it into a plugin you could even make your idea to make off band axis to work, because you have the freedom to open any second, third etc. motion controllers via the API and you could send motion commands to them. :)
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Vmax549 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:51 pm

I had thought about teh out of bounds axis using a seperate controller BUT it is WAY above my programming abilities which are poor at best.

I did get 2 UCCNC sessions to talk to each other over serial. BUT that would be very hard to maintain 2 complete sessions of UCCNC for 1 machine.

The only thing I see as feasible for the ATC suport is a Modbus_RS485 PLC that supports stepper motion and simple I/O. UCCNC has teh power to do it but not the means.

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software