3d machining

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Re: 3d machining

Postby cncdrive » Wed May 01, 2019 4:13 pm

And iges and step files are 3d files built from primitives, mostly from triangles, and ofcourse those files do not include toolpath informations.
To do machining you need a toolpath where it is exactly defined how to move along the shape to cut/mill it out.
step and iges files only contain the shape, but how to cut that out with what pass sizes with what strategies, how the tool should travel, with what feedrate etc. these infomations are all missing and so ofcourese these files can't be directly loaded and executed with the uccnc (nor can be with mach3 or with any other machine controller), they require settings to be made in a CAM software and then produce the g-code which contains the exact toolpath informations.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Vmax549 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:43 pm

Mach3 has LazyCam similar to how UCCNC has UCCNC_Cam.

(;-) TP
Vmax549

Postby cncdrive » Wed May 01, 2019 4:44 pm

Yea, but LazyCAM is a buggy one and hard to use, I would not recommend that for anything.
Nowadays there are so many free and really cheap CAM softwares on the market which are much more powerful than Lazycam and the UCCAM...
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby danando » Wed May 01, 2019 5:54 pm

I'll check them all out. Thanks cncdrive.
danando

Postby danando » Wed May 01, 2019 6:24 pm

cncdrive wrote:And iges and step files are 3d files built from primitives, mostly from triangles, and ofcourse those files do not include toolpath informations.
To do machining you need a toolpath where it is exactly defined how to move along the shape to cut/mill it out.
step and iges files only contain the shape, but how to cut that out with what pass sizes with what strategies, how the tool should travel, with what feedrate etc. these infomations are all missing and so ofcourese these files can't be directly loaded and executed with the uccnc (nor can be with mach3 or with any other machine controller), they require settings to be made in a CAM software and then produce the g-code which contains the exact toolpath informations.

I appreciate and understand this as I've used delcam powermill and edgecam, but I thought UCCNC could do this also. I'll check out the programs you have suggested. Thanks cncdrive.
danando

Postby needleworks » Thu May 02, 2019 8:51 am

I just machined my first ever bowl at the weekend, this probably could/should have been done on a lathe (either cnc or manually) but I decided I wanted to do it on my mill. I drew the bowl in Fusion 360 and then generated the 3D toolpaths. I then loaded the code into UCCNC and pressed the "Cycle Start" button and stood back. It took a while but everything worked flawlessly :o

Any more 3D work and I will certainly be going back to Fusion 360 and UCCNC.
needleworks

Postby danando » Tue May 07, 2019 10:36 am

needleworks wrote:I just machined my first ever bowl at the weekend, this probably could/should have been done on a lathe (either cnc or manually) but I decided I wanted to do it on my mill. I drew the bowl in Fusion 360 and then generated the 3D toolpaths. I then loaded the code into UCCNC and pressed the "Cycle Start" button and stood back. It took a while but everything worked flawlessly :o

Any more 3D work and I will certainly be going back to Fusion 360 and UCCNC.

Nice to know that it can be done needleworks. Does fusion come with CAM as standard? We are a charity and have Inventor Pro educational packages. I'll have to see if we can get a CAM package addon.
danando

Postby cncdrive » Tue May 07, 2019 10:57 am

Fusion360 is a CAM software.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:12 am

cncdrive wrote:Fusion360 is a CAM software.

CAD & CAM
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Tue May 07, 2019 11:19 am

Yes, but it is optimised for CAM functions, I mean Autodesk has for example Autocad software which is optimised for CAD functionality, but Fusion360 is built for toolpaths/g-code generation purposes.
cncdrive
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software