64-bit and multi-core support

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

64-bit and multi-core support

Postby Mark81 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi all, I use UCCNC since few days with a UC300ETH-5LPT. I'm reading the documentation and I see it's compatible with both 32 and 64-bit O.S.
But as far as I understand it's a 32-bit software, actually. Isn't it?
Furthermore it seems it use only one core, even if the computer has multiple cores.
Is this a current limitation or perhaps I made a mistake during my setup?
Mark81

Re: 64-bit and multi-core support

Postby Robertspark » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:27 pm

What difference does it make?

I mean.... The important bit is done in the motion controller, and all data from the pc is buffered to the motion controller.

It ain't going to run any faster than the motion controller kernel speed..... And even that will in most cases be overkill ..... And more than most drives can handle.

Also it's gcode.... So it does not really do a lot of processing..... The biggest problem people seem to have is a poor graphics card.

It is different if you are running linuxcnc on a parallel port using the servo loop.... But windows data is all buffered... No realtime.
Robertspark

Postby dezsoe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:34 pm

The latest stable release is 32bit, but the test releases beginning with 1.2103 are already 32/64bit (compiled to AnyCPU). The main difference (from the users' view) is only the size of the g-code file which can be opened.
dezsoe

Postby cncdrive » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:35 pm

It was 32bits software till version 1.2102 and is 32/64bits (AnyCPU) software since that.
Why do you want it to run more of your computer's cores?
What problems do these things cause in your setup?
I mean what issues do you experiencing which you think is caused by that the software runs on 32bits and that it runs a single core?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:39 pm

Rob,

For the user running in 64bits mode the only advantage is as Dezsoe mentioned that you can load larger files, because 64bits software can use higher RAM memory.
For us compiling with AnyCPU is much better, because it compiles much faster than x86, so the development can go faster.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Mark81 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:00 am

Hi guys, thanks for your comments. About 32/64-bit it was just to understand how the software is compiled.
Instead, I asked about multi-core support because often I find the one where UCCNC runs fixed at 100% while the others are in idle.
Mark81

Postby cncdrive » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:55 am

If it runs the CPU to 100% then it is most likely a video card problem, because the UCCNC itself does not require much resources except it's graphics.
On my computer it runs around 0% all the time, even if large g-codes are executed.
And this problem could not be resolved using multi-cores, because the issue is then that OpenGL has to do things in software using the CPU instead of the GPU and multi-core usage on a single OpenGL context is not possible, so it would be no solution to use multi cores for different tasks since all OpenGL stuff must run on the same core and the OpenGL graphics is what is causing your issue.

Try to install the most up to date drivers for your video card.
And if it is an integrated graphics then check the shared video memory size and possibly set it higher in BIOS.
If these do not help then try to install a newer/more powerful graphics card.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software