Future software update...

Post anything you want to discuss with others about the software.

Future software update...

Postby awschmitz7 » Mon May 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Does anyone know how often uccnc software typically come out with updated versions on their software? I just started to use the software and I don’t have any complaints. Works flawlessly and have run parts on my VMC without any issues. The only issue I have with it is missing features. I wish I would be able to jog at .0001 increments, I also would like the tool table to have a tool wear function. Other than those two functions I think the software is much better than Mach software. Also, is the software limited to their motion control boards only? Thanks for any insight in advance!
awschmitz7

Re: Future software update...

Postby cncdrive » Mon May 14, 2018 9:08 pm

Test releases come out usually in every 1-2months, sometimes a bit more frequently.
Official/stable releases come out when we see that a version is stable enough to release it officially. It usually takes a few months.
You can jog 0.0001 increments, just write in that value in the Step dist. DRO on the jogpanel.
I'm not sure about the tool ware function, I mean what that exactly has to do, but Terry on the forum is sure more familiar with it, maybe he already wrote a macro for it...

Yes, the UCCNC works with our motion controllers, the UC100, UC300ETH and UC400ETH.
We see no interest in allowing 3rd party motion controller manufacturers to fit the software to their devices, because it would very likely introduce a large amount of problems, bugs etc.
We think that it is much better if one company makes the whole system, the software and the motion controllers.
But first party devices which are not motion controllers can be already fitted to the UCCNC, e.g. pendants, VFDs, Arduinos, etc. because the software has a flexible plugin interface and also a Modbus plugin.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby beefy » Mon May 14, 2018 10:31 pm

cncdrive wrote:I'm not sure about the tool ware function, I mean what that exactly has to do.

Hi Balazs,

I've spent the last 6 months in and engineering job shop running cnc machining centres, so I think I know what the OP may want to do.

I know we can use cam software to allow for tool radius, length, etc, and that is great for writing the program in the beginning. However, once machining starts and you are running 10s or 100s of pieces, you are periodically checking the part dimensions. It's typical that a carbide insert will wear a little on its cutting edge and the part dimension changes slightly.

That's when I would stop the program, change the tool wear value, and then restart the program from where I stopped it. This is all done at the machine itself, not in the cam. Of course these are high end machines with high end software.

The program has been stopped in the middle of machining, so if the program was closed and you went back to the cam and did everything there, a brand new file gets generated. You then may not be able to start from the same gcode line at which you stopped, because how do we know the gcode produced is identical to the original file. Also it's a pain :)

Keith.
Last edited by beefy on Mon May 14, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
beefy

Postby cncdrive » Mon May 14, 2018 10:56 pm

OK, but how does the software knows the wear? The user simply types it in or the software calculates it from machining time or from travel or ... ?
I worked with some high-end PCB milling machines about 15 years ago which did this. they were really costy 250000 Euro machines and they cut Nokia phone PCBs in mobile phones production.
That machine calculated the wear from travel and continously adjusted the tool radius comp and you could also add in a travel distance when it automatically changed the tool.
But the UCCNC currently does not have a function to calculate and sum up the travel distances and it also has no dynamic/on the fly adjustment of the radius compensation.

Ofcourse if the wear value is simply typed in by the user and that has to be added or subtracted from the tool dia then it is relatively simple to add a function like that.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby ger21 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:27 pm

The simple method is to add a wear column in the tool table, and subtract the wear amount from the diameter when comp is applied. Yes, just typed in by the user.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby awschmitz7 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:09 am

Regarding the wear function.. if I program a part on fusion 360 and I’m using let’s say 3/8(.375) and 1/4(.250) end mills. Ideally those tools should be dimensionally accurate. But even a brand new end can be slightly undersized. Rather than writing a program with actual tool diameter at that time in cam, I would be able to put the actual tool diameter in the software at the time of machining a part. So at a later date using a “worn” end mill that’s slightly different dimensionally, I wouldn’t have to repost code for that end mill size . I would just make that adjustment at the machine using the same code. I understand that not using tool wear will likely result in a part that is in print, but if I had tight tolarances and critical datums to hit I can minimize the room for error and the error that may be present in the machine.
awschmitz7

Postby ger21 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:43 am

Vmax549 wrote:OK YOU do understand that WEAR would only work IF you were using ToolComp code(G41/42) otherwise it would not work.

Just a thought(;-) TP

+1

And you could just as easily enter the actual tool diameter in the tool table, rather than both a diameter and wear amount. And you can do this now in the latest test versions.
Gerry
ger21

Postby awschmitz7 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:58 am

That’s what I’m looking. Actual diameter of the tool. I use haas controllers for work so I’m familiar with the tool tables on their controllers. I typically will use actual diameter if I’m running a roughing end mill and then change the diameter for finishing. But actual diameter would work the same in the place of tool wear.
awschmitz7

Postby beefy » Tue May 15, 2018 11:41 am

And as I explained before about how I'd stop a program mid cut to add/subtract from the tool wear (or as been mentioned here, simply modify the tool radius for example), would UCCNC recalculate the tool path from the mid cut restart point.

I.E. UCCNC would have to be programmed to "take note" that a tool radius had been modified mid cut. I have no idea at present how it works if tool radius compensation was working. Would it just look at the TRC at the beginning of a cut, and not again ??
beefy

Postby ger21 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:17 pm

You'd need to do a Run From Here, from a point prior to the G41/G42.
Any other way would be asking way too much from UCCNC.
Gerry
ger21

Next

Return to General discussion about the UCCNC software