DG16035 Drive Red & Green Flashing Lights

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

DG16035 Drive Red & Green Flashing Lights

Postby BDT » Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:04 pm

I've ran these drives for years without issue. I moved my Z axis encoder and forgot to reverse the rotation. When I powered up, it overtraveled in the opposite direction, hit a physical stop, and the drive faulted out. I fixed my encoder issue and powered back on, but now my red and green lights are flashing. If I leave the main power disconnected, I get a nice green light, but if the power is connected I will get the red and green flashing lights again.
I lost my programming stick, so I ordered another one that should be here early next week. Maybe I can reset something with it?
Of course, I have moved components around with another drive that is good, and verified that the encoder, motor, control, etc. are working properly. It is definitely an issue with the drive.
Is there possibly an internal fuse or something that needs to be reset?
DG16035
Running 108VDC

Thanks! :D
BDT

Re: DG16035 Drive Red & Green Flashing Lights

Postby cncdrive » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:11 pm

It means overcurrent error.
The power Mosfet bridge of the drive damaged.
This possibly happened because the axis hit the mechanical limit which is the worst case scenario, it is much worse then pressing e-stop when the axis is running,
because on the mechanical end limit the axis cannot move forward at all, so the motor stops, the current flow in the motor coil stops instantly and that generates a huge amount of extra voltage and if it exceeds the drive's rated maximum then the drive damages.

Try to unpower the drive. And remove the cover and measure the Mosfet legs with a multimeter, measure resistance between each mosfet pin to the other mosfet pin.
I mean pin 1 to 2 and pin 2 to 3 and pin 1 to 3. All should show high resistance if the Mosfet is OK and it will show about 0 resistance if it damaged.
If you find a damaged mosfet then replace it with soldering.
The mosfet type number is IRFP260N in the DG4S-16035 drive.

And if you using a braking circuit (e.g. the BRKC-180) then this problem is less likely to happen, however on a mechanical limit it could still happen even with a braking circuit, because the voltage spike could be very high and very strong.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby BDT » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:32 pm

Awesome info. Thank you.
I bet that is the issue. I will report back.
BDT

Postby BDT » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:39 pm

Here are a couple photos of the drive without the cover. I have arrows showing which 3 terminals are the bad MOSFET. It is the one closest to the “Power In”.
Now to hunt down a replacement ASAP.
Thank you again!
Attachments
IMG_2188.jpeg
IMG_2186.jpeg
BDT

Postby cncdrive » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:50 am

The Mosfet transistor type is IRFP260N , it's a comon type and available at most electric stores like Digikey, Mouser, Farnell etc.
If you can't find one then please email us and we probably have some in stock.

To exchange the old one first cut the pins and then unsolder the pins and remove them by tweezers and then remove the soldering material.
Insert the new Mosfet and solder it.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby BDT » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:54 am

I ordered some from Amazon and got them the next business day. Had my machine running again in no time.
Thanks for the help!
BDT

Postby cncdrive » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:11 am

Good to hear that, thanks for the feedback. :)
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to Hardware