AXBB-E + UCSB 4th axis

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

AXBB-E + UCSB 4th axis

Postby appiuccnc » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:55 am

Hello Group

I have been running a cnc router for about a year, it is setup with two steppers driving the X Axis and X Axis Slave, a Axis and a Z Axis.

Those are all driven from a AXBB-E

I have just built a 4th axis ( rotary ) and and planning on fitting a ATC, those planned modifications required some additional outputs to drive the ( 5th ) stepper and the loading of tools in the spindle.

I bought a UCSB but am having trouble understanding how to wire the addition stepper driver.

The manual is saying that any of the outputs can be configured to drive the Dir and Step signals to the driver, and that the 5 volts out on the UCSB can be used to drive the stepper ( driver ), below is lifted from the UCSB manual.

To connect the step and direction signals to stepper or servo drives any of the 16 outputs can be
used. Most stepper drives have an optocoupler on these signals with a series resistor fitted in series
with the LED of the optocoupler. Mostly the series resistor's value fits a certain voltage level or
voltage range, usually it is around 5Volts. With these drives the 5Volts from the screw terminals 3.
and 4. can be used to drive the step and direction lines of the drives

Earlier in the manual it states a 24 volt relay can be driven directly from the UCSB output port.

I think the penny just dropped, I'm thinking the outports on UCSB put out a voltage but really they " see " one, so if the relay was connected to 24 volts, it is sinked into the output port, as is the step signal when the 5+ is connected to the driver and " returns " into the UCSB.

[img]

Any confirmation or suggestion would be very welcome as I really don't want to let the blue smoke escape.

Ed
appiuccnc

Re: AXBB-E + UCSB 4th axis

Postby Dazp1976 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:01 pm

Basically. All it means is that the optocouplers on ucsb can handle any voltage from 5v to 24v.
If you connect 5v- to driver and outputs (say O3/O4), then 5v+ to the 5v +power it will run 5v.
If you connect 24v- to output (say O4) and relay-, then 24v+ to 24v +power it will run 24v.

So 5v+/- circuit through output will run at 5v.
And 24v+/- circuit through output will run at 24v.

It's if you mix the 5v/24v +/- circuits you can cause damage (such as example 5v- to drive and O2/O3 then put the drive+ to 24v+).

The isolators don't put out voltage themselves. They are basically just a switch. You connect your desired voltage through them and they turn that voltage on/off.
Dazp1976

Postby appiuccnc » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:52 pm

Hello Dazp1976

Thank you for taking the time to reply, that makes sense.

Best regards

Ed
appiuccnc

Postby StefanoGobetto » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:33 pm

Salve a tutti, se potete aiutarmi. Ho collegato il controller Axbb-e al notebook con cavo ethernet incrociato che ho fatto io. Ho seguito le istruzioni ma dopo aver impostato i valori indirizzo ip, subnet mask e convalidato tutto, il PC fa la ricerca errori e non trova nessuna soluzione. Il LED "link" non si accende. Ho provato anche a premere reset togliendo l'alimentazione 5v ma non succede niente. Cosa non va? Grazie!
StefanoGobetto

Postby fsli » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:19 pm

Ciao Stefano,

Senza offense a te, ma la prima pensiero e che hai sbagliato nel construizone del cavo incrociata. Meglio se compri un cavo incrociata, o una adattatore incrociata per un cavo diretto. Io ho scelto questo secondo opzione, di usare un adattatore.

Pero, se sei sicuro che il cavo funziona, la prossima diretto e di quardare le LED sul AXBB-E che indicano il corrente e collegato. Ci saranno due, uno che indica la presenza di 24v, e l'altro che indica corto circuito nello 5v connesione.

Poi, neglo manuale per il AXBB, a pagina 17 e 18, c'e scritto come si leggono gli LED. Il LED per "pronto", indica condizioni errore lampeggiando.
Frank
fsli

Return to Hardware