DG4S firmware update woes

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

DG4S firmware update woes

Postby atomic » Sat May 07, 2022 8:39 pm

Hello,
I'm about to begin retrofitting a 3 axis mill, so I bought two new drives and took one out of an older converted machine I have. I'm having some trouble getting the old drive (dated 2013) to work with Servoconfigurator 3. The green LED blinks as normal when I plug the USB stick, but fails to connect with the software when I click the "connect to device" button and the green LED goes off.

When I try to perform a firmware update, the drive gets identified as a Whale3 v3.05. The firmware update then occurs with the incorrect firmware, I assume, but the drive still wont connect to the PC. I tried the special firmware update mentioned on the manual, but I get the same result.

I found this forum post: https://www.forum.cncdrive.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=871 in which the OP has the same issue, but the solution wasn't discussed there. Any ideas on what I could do to get my servo drive working?
atomic

Re: DG4S firmware update woes

Postby cncdrive » Mon May 09, 2022 6:37 am

Try to do the following:

1.) Turn the 12Volts power to the drive off.
2.) With the Servoconfigurator3 software start a firmware update and press OK on the popup Window.
3.) A counter will start counting on the screen and when you see that turn the 12V power to the drive on and wait.
4.) Be patient as the firmware update can take some time.
5.) When the Servoconfig3 finishes the firmware update toggle the 12Volts off/on to restart the drive.

What this procedure does is that it starts the firmware update when the drive is in the bootloader, so then it does not matter if there is any firmware issues and the firmware gets overwritten properly.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby atomic » Tue May 10, 2022 5:32 am

Thanks for the response! I cannot seem to get a different result following your steps, although I'm not sure If I'm doing everything right. Here's what I get:

Immediatly after I click the "Yes" button to overwrite the servo memory, Servoconfigurator 3 starts downloading the Whale3 firmware, no matter if the servo drive is powered or not.

Also, I'm assuming the counter you mention is the "Updating block" line?

If I power the drive after starting the block counter reaches 701, the firmware gets updated, but it still cannot get it connected with the tuning software.
atomic

Postby cncdrive » Tue May 10, 2022 9:40 am

Your programming stick might be damaged.
Can you connect with the same programming stick to the other drive you have?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby atomic » Thu May 12, 2022 4:09 am

I can't get the other drives to connect. I will purchase a new programming stick and attempt the firmware update again.

Thanks for the response so far!
atomic

Return to Hardware