Help with AXBB-E UCCNC VFD Settings

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Help with AXBB-E UCCNC VFD Settings

Postby fendar2005 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:24 am

Got a weird one here. Hoping an easy fix.

When I press CW and UCCNC button illuminates or program M3 S WHATEVER SPEED the spindle stops

When I press CW and UCCNC button goes out or type M5 the spindle starts.

I do have a issue with the speed as well which I need to sort.

One thing I noticed the AXBB-E user guide has opposite setting for the jumper than marked on the actual vfd??

Connections as follows.

ACM on VFD drive is connected to 5v negative on AXBB-E
AVI on VFD drive is connected to AO1 on AXBB-E
FOR on VFD drive is connected to Pin 1 Port 1 (Isolated Output Pin 1)
COM (DCM) on VFD drive is connected to 24v negative on PSU

UCCNC Settings which I've tried multiple can anyone guide me where I have gone wrong or the settings in UCCNC I need.

I'm liking the UCCNC software so far. I've gutted a 3040T and jus using the stepper motors, VFD Spindle and Drive. All the rest is new.
fendar2005

Re: Help with AXBB-E UCCNC VFD Settings

Postby Dazp1976 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:11 pm

fendar2005 wrote:Got a weird one here. Hoping an easy fix.
When I press CW and UCCNC button illuminates or program M3 S WHATEVER SPEED the spindle stops

Is there an option for active high/low change on pwm/ analog output anywhere. Can't remember.
That would reverse M3/M5 operation.
Dazp1976

Postby fendar2005 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:40 pm

Dazp1976 wrote:
fendar2005 wrote:Got a weird one here. Hoping an easy fix.

Is there an option for active high/low change on pwm/ analog output anywhere. Can't remember.
That would reverse M3/M5 operation.

You are right but nope, no difference I'm afraid :-(

I've tried both the Power Out 5v negative and the 5v negative in the non-isolated ports section. Also reversed the 5v 0 and the AO1 thinking got the connections wrong. It doesn't help that the VFD board salvaged from the 3040T control box is unlabelled. I am so close, I am burning to get this running :-$ . Replacing the VFD Invertor/Drive with a MODBUS sure will fix but not really what I have budget for at the moment.

When I mentioned
One thing I noticed the AXBB-E user guide has opposite setting for the jumper than marked on the actual vfd??
I actually meant the jumper on the board for the 5v/10v output is labelled up in reverse to the AXBB-E manual but that would not have this result I'm sure.
fendar2005

Postby Dazp1976 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:24 pm

fendar2005 wrote:You are right but nope, no difference I'm afraid :-(

I've tried both the Power Out 5v negative and the 5v negative in the non-isolated ports section. Also reversed the 5v 0 and the AO1 thinking got the connections wrong. It doesn't help that the VFD board salvaged from the 3040T control box is unlabelled. I am so close, I am burning to get this running :-$ . Replacing the VFD Invertor/Drive with a MODBUS sure will fix but not really what I have budget for at the moment.

Do you have model number or any other info for the vfd?.
Could be a peramiter in that which needs changing.

Last time I had a breakout board work the analog voltage in reverse it was simply change step/pwm setting from low to high.
But that was Mach via parallel port when pwm was asigned to a step pin output.

That's going back a bit now.

Could try changing spindle step high/low just for fun, even though it's not asigned to anything.
Dazp1976

Postby Dazp1976 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:35 pm

fendar2005 wrote:When I mentioned One thing I noticed the AXBB-E user guide has opposite setting for the jumper than marked on the actual vfd? I actually meant the jumper on the board for the 5v/10v output is labelled up in reverse to the AXBB-E manual but that would not have this result I'm sure.

All the jumper is for is to have either 5v or 10v coming out of the analog max.
Some drives only use 5v for S command
The jumper makes axbbe compatible with both 5 & 10 drives.
That's it.
Dazp1976

Postby fendar2005 » Fri May 13, 2022 12:08 pm

Dazp1976 wrote:
fendar2005 wrote:When I mentioned One thing I noticed the AXBB-E user guide has opposite setting for the jumper than marked on the actual vfd? I actually meant the jumper on the board for the 5v/10v output is labelled up in reverse to the AXBB-E manual but that would not have this result I'm sure.

All the jumper is for is to have either 5v or 10v coming out of the analog max.
Some drives only use 5v for S command
The jumper makes axbbe compatible with both 5 & 10 drives.
That's it.

Thanks for you help so far, been a bit hectic at work. There are no identifiable able markings on the VFD drive whatso ever, lol. The closest I have been so far is to have the M3/M5 reversed but the speed was a bit out. The jumper on the board is different from the documentation. Maybe I will give that a try.

I've tried so many combinations of connections and pin outs sort of lost track.

I also don't know if I have to use a relay on the isolated ports. I have an opto isolated relay board and have the 24v negative as the common on the relay switched side. One thing I noticed also is that switching on the mist or coolant reduces the speed of the spindle when it does run on M5, which seems wierd. The opto isolated relay board I am using for the coolant and mist at the moment and also testing on the M3 output.
fendar2005

Postby asuratman » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:03 am

Just to make sure, written on board ON 5V, OFF 10V means remove red jumper for 10V pwm.
Attachments
axbbe jumper.jpg
remove red jumper
asuratman

Postby fendar2005 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:50 pm

Well I got it working in the end, it is not exact speed showing on the VFD but close enough. If I put 20000 RPM the VFD says just over 21000 but that is close enough for me. Since I am jus about to install a speed override pot I can jus adjust on there.

I watched loads of YouTube videos and looked at loads of connections others have posted, might help if the VFD I pulled out of the old 3040 had decent documentation. But I am happy I did not have to go out and buy a VFD drive or drive/spindle combo before I build a new CNC.
fendar2005

Return to Hardware