How to choose with motion controller and breakoutboard?

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

How to choose with motion controller and breakoutboard?

Postby mikkokui » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:53 am

Hi all. I’m currently building a new cnc machine and I’m pretty sure that I will choose UCCNC for controlling it. However it’s a bit difficult to me choose which controller and breakoutboard I will need. Things I want/require from IO point of view:

- 4pcs NPN (24V?) homing switches (X, Z and Y axis will have two motors so gantry “squaring” sequence needed
- SRO & FRO potentiometers to operating panel
- MPG (only the wheel, not axis/step multiply buttons)
- E-stop button
- 10V control for VFD
- I will use 4pcs of JMC integrated servos, as mentioned previously there will be two motors for Y-axis). So step/dir signals for these

These would be the minimum requirements. For future purposes there could be some extra IO. Let’s say ATC upgrade in the future etc. What I like is compact “all-in-one” solutions where you have one board with all necessary connectors. What I don’t like is the way where you have motion controller+flat ribbon cables and several other cards connected into it.

I like very much the idea of the AXBB-E but without separate BOB card AXBB-E will be too limited for my needs?
UC300+UB1 (from CNCroom) would be one great option, a bit pricey and they don’t respond to my emails.
CNC4PC offers C94, looks pretty nice but once again needs a bunch of separate BOB cards and flat ribbon cables
Any other comments or options?
mikkokui

Re: How to choose with motion controller and breakoutboard?

Postby ger21 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:41 pm

If you want to use analog for these, you are limited to the UC300-ETH.

I have a UB-1, and it's great. But, you can do it much cheaper.
For the analog connector, get a simple breakout board like this, and use a ribbon cable to connect it to the analog port.
https://www.winford.com/products/brkld15.php

Then use any inexpensive breakout boards for the rest, but you'll need one with a PWM > Analog speed control.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Re: How to choose with motion controller and breakoutboard?

Postby Dazp1976 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:38 am

ger21 wrote:

If you want to use analog for these, you are limited to the UC300-ETH.
I have a UB-1, and it's great. But, you can do it much cheaper.
For the analog connector, get a simple breakout board like this, and use a ribbon cable to connect it to the analog port.
https://www.winford.com/products/brkld15.php
Then use any inexpensive breakout boards for the rest, but you'll need one with a PWM > Analog speed control.

I've just used some arduino 2.54mm connectors and plugged them in directly to the analog port and spindle drive.
Then some 8p8c rj45 modules to the analog in and ran cat7 cable to the pots.
No bob needed.

Also, got some 12 channel 24v to 5v isolation modules from Aliexpress and they work well on the inputs of ports 4&5 using proximity sensors.
Dazp1976

Return to Hardware