Uc300eth to KBIC 120 clone for spindle control?

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Uc300eth to KBIC 120 clone for spindle control?

Postby TroyO » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:31 am

I’m a newb so I’m sure I’ll be here with a ton of questions, lol. So hello!

I just got the UC300Eth to replace a LinuxCNC box that was dying of numerous causes, enough that I decided just to salvage the various power supplies/boards etc. I figured I’d just jump ship and use a laptop I had hanging around with UCNC.

I’m mostly ok with the usual step/dir hookups, but it gets a little dicey on the spindle control. Are the analog outputs isolated? I think the control inputs on the Spindle controller are floating at 90v-ish so the need to be decoupled.

I was using a spindle control board that takes PWM I think from a step signal (?) and changes it to a floating analog that controls the DC motor control. It’s a cnc4pc C41 spindle control board. I haven’t been able to pull up the old spec sheet for it, they have newer C41S model that is similar, but not exactly the same.

Anyway, it occurred to me that maybe I could ditch it entirely if the PWM onboard the uc300 are isolated? Also, if I do that with PWM1, are the PWMs isolated from each other so that I could use PWM2 for something else? I do t want to throw 90v at my new toy without checking, lol.
TroyO

Re: Uc300eth to KBIC 120 clone for spindle control?

Postby TroyO » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:39 pm

Ahhh, reading through the manual again I see I made some incorrect assumptions. The pair of duplicate PWM outs are just redundant, and NOT PWM Out and isolated PWM Ground. Never mind... I'm learnin, I'll get this stuff eventually, LOL.

For any future readers, don't hook your DC Motor control potentiometer lines direct to anything on the UC300eth. :-)
TroyO

Re: Uc300eth to KBIC 120 clone for spindle control?

Postby cncdrive » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:48 pm

Yes, be careful with that, because the analog outputs on the UC300ETH-5LPT are not isolated, so do not connect that!
On VFDs the analog input is isolated in the VFD so it is not a problem, but I know that there are some speed controllers, usually DC motor speed controllers which have the analog input unisolated.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Return to Hardware