Purchasing help

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Purchasing help

Postby Rikk » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:40 am

Hi there, hope you can help. I’m currently running a mach3 setup with no motion controller and want to change to UCCNC and a controller, I’m struggling a little bit with what I actually need to buy.

This is what I know I need.
UC300-5LPT ETH motion controller
HDBB2 breakout board
IDC26-IDC26 ribbon cable assembly L=250mm (to connect the UC300-5LPT to HDBB2 breakout board)
UCCNC software license key
12v PSU for HDBB2
5v PSU for UC300

Questions.

1. The 12v PSU, can this just be a 12v 1-2A power brick PSU as I’ll just be using steppers?
2. 5v PSU for the UC300 I assume this can be a standard USB charger as it mentioned the USB version can be powered from the USB port?
Alternatively I have a PC power supply in the cabinet so may break out the 12 and 5 from that.
3. On the HDBB2 there are RJ45 connectors for the steppers, will I also need to buy plugs and cable to make the cables up to connect to the steppers or are these on the site somewhere?
4. Is there anything I’ve missed off the list I’ll need?

Thanks

.............Rikk
Rikk

Re: Purchasing help

Postby cncdrive » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:34 pm

1.) Yes, you can use a small power supply, like these:
http://shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=268
http://shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=419

2.) To get the 5V or 12V from the PC is not recommended, because ethernet is isolated and also the BOB has optocoupler inputs and optocoupled outputs,
if you use the PC's PSU to power the boards then you will break the isolation barrier, will make the PC and the devices common ground,
so the system will be more sensitive to electrical noise.
So, getting the 5V from the USB will work, but doing so is not recommended.
And to use a separate PC powersupply, I mean a powersupply of a PC which is not installed into the control PC, but is a separately installed unit should be OK.

3.) We do not carry these kind of cables, but they are very standard ones, you can purchase them in any electric/IT stores, because these type of cables are used for networking, connecting the internet etc., so they are commonly used cables.
If you will install steppers then just cut one cable end-plug off and connect the wires like:

Pin 1. step signal in the RJ45 --- PUL+ on the drive.
Pin 2. direction signal in the RJ45 --- DIR+ on the drive.
Pin 3. ground in the RJ45 --- PUL- and DIR- on the drive.

4.) It's hard to tell. :)
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Rikk » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks, I'll get my order in :)
Rikk

Postby Rikk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:11 am

Order made, thanks for the great comms :)

Follow up question, I'd like to use my laptop which has a touchscreen to run UCCNC but it only has wifi, if I wire the controller into the network would there be any issue with the software finding the controller or running with it over wifi?

Thanks
Rikk

Postby cncdrive » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:32 am

Hi and thank you for your order. :)

Well, thats a good question. Wifi will work, but it may have latency problems, so we recommend wired connection.
You may try to see how wifi works, but if there are many wifi devices around could cause connection loss problems,
because the controller has strickt timing requirements to work properly and if there are latency problems when the controller or the PC does not receive answer in short enough time then it will break the connection and will show you an error.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby cncdrive » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:35 am

And if your PC has no Ethernet connector, but if it has USB then you could also try to use a USB LAN card, like this: http://shop.cncdrive.com/index.php?productID=771
This is a LAN card communicating via USB port, so your UC300ETH will be still isolated, because the ethernet connection is isolated.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Rikk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:46 am

Thanks for that, yes I do already have a USB lanport for it but was hoping to be able to get away with not using it. Only me in the house, couple of devices connected but I can only us one at a time ;)

Least I know in theory it will work so I'll have a play :)
Rikk

Postby Rikk » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:07 pm

Just installed UCCNC on the laptop, works a treat and sooooo nice to have a touchscreen and a UI that scales to the screen, all I need now is that lovely chap to release the updated version of 2010 screenset for me to buy and I'll be in heaven ;)
Rikk

Postby ger21 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Rikk wrote: all I need now is that lovely chap to release the updated version of 2010 screenset for me to buy and I'll be in heaven ;)

Not sure if I've ever been called lovely before. :oops:
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Return to Hardware