Huan Yang Spindle

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Huan Yang Spindle

Postby Demusman » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:45 pm

Doing some upgrades on my machine and figure it's a good time to change the spindle.
I know the Huan Yang have been popular on this site and I'm wondering what all the users will say about them now?
I know some of you have been using them for quite a while now.
Still happy with them?
Any recommended models?
Any bad things I should know?
Demusman

Re: Huan Yang Spindle

Postby Demusman » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:10 pm

Ok, Thanks.
Demusman

Postby ger21 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Most of the Chinese spindles available are not Huanyang branded, so not many have that exact spindle. But I think most brands are very similar, and in some cases identical to each other.

Some people tend to quickly burn them up with incorrect VFD settings, but for most people, they provide years of use, if not abused. Great value for $150-$200.

People have been using them for probably 10 years now, with mostly positive reviews.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby Demusman » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:33 pm

Is there an "all in one" post somewhere with all the settings for the VFD?
I find all kinds of instructions but they are all scattered, which is fine since I do have time, but I would think there's a quick guide somewhere.
Just wondering if there is.
Demusman

Postby ger21 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:31 pm

There are a lot at CNC Zone, but there are also a lot of incorrect lists.
It also depends on the specific VFD you get, as they are all different.
Gerry
ger21

Postby Vance » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:09 pm

Gerry is correct, they differ however if you stick to Huanyang, they appear to share most, if not all the same PD settings. They also have a pretty good manual however they don't teach you what the PD values should be, just what the PID ranges are.

There is a good post from KB2WYL from 01-08-2017 "How to Set up a Huanyang VFD and Air Cooled Spindle"

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326310&referrerid=526494

At first glance it looks like four pages of discussion but in reality it is 3.5 pages of trolling however I can't find a comment that chalenges KB2WYL's PD settings.

The Mactec guy on Cnczone is the most prolific with setting posts but he also draws the most ire from responses. His settings have changed over time plus his hecklers challenge his PD settings but don't offer their own.

In my case, just the amount of exposure to the settings debate will get you oriented in the right direction. That sucks because as geeks we want definitive instructions.

I feel your pain. I let the smoke out of my spindle.
/ETH-5LPT/UCSB
Carveco Maker
Vance

Postby Demusman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:49 pm

Thanks for this!
Might've saved me some smoke. I saw the mactek settings and some of them didn't make any sense to me so I went with the ones you posted.

One more question, what type of wire are you using from VFD to spindle? That post says use shielded if possible, I was thinking of running 16/4.
Demusman

Postby Vance » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:37 pm

I used a high-strand count wire I had, unshielded.

I also had the Z stepper loose steps immediately. I did a full review of my grounding and noticed significant resistance between my spindle/Z and the grounding to my power supplies. Adding a ground to join them all at the same spot stopped the Z stepper anomaly.

It ran fine there after but I am considering this with a new spindle:

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/cnc-parts/4-conductor-18ga-shielded-motor-wires/
/ETH-5LPT/UCSB
Carveco Maker
Vance

Postby ger21 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:47 pm

My recommendation would be to study and understand what the parameter do before you change them.

When I bought mine, the seller listed a handful of parameters and values that needed to be changed. The rest can usually be left at their default settings.

I took a quick look at the CNC Zone post, and the values in the first post look correct.

You should always use shielded VFD rated wire.
Gerry
ger21

Postby Demusman » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:13 pm

Vance wrote:I used a high-strand count wire I had, unshielded.

I also had the Z stepper loose steps immediately. I did a full review of my grounding and noticed significant resistance between my spindle/Z and the grounding to my power supplies. Adding a ground to join them all at the same spot stopped the Z stepper anomaly.

It ran fine there after but I am considering this with a new spindle:

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/cnc-parts/4-conductor-18ga-shielded-motor-wires/

Why 4 conductor and shield?
Wouldn't the shield be the 4th conductor for the spindle.

Seeing some posts that say the 4th connection isn't even wired to anything, is that true with yours?
Demusman

Next

Return to Hardware