AXBB-E encoder problem

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Re: AXBB-E encoder problem

Postby cncdrive » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:12 pm

The CPU we used has no encoder pheripherial, the encoders are read in software using interrupt routines.
And even if the CPU would have such pheripherial, it is then hard wired to mostly one-one physical pin and on some CPUs it is configurable to a few different pins, but never to all pins. And in the UCCNC every pheripherial is freely configurable to any pins, so then this would be an exception which is unwanted as our concept is to make everything as configurable and flexible as much as possible.

Also the -5LPT motherboard has an RC filter on the inputs to filter out noise and it is also a limit for the max. input frequency.

And for threading and rigid tapping there is no need for high resolution encoder, our algorithm does rotational speed
lookahead, so it calculates to even in between 2 encoder counts.
However in reality it is not even important to do that much precision.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Mrosconi » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:56 pm

Hi,
I plan to thread on my milling machine with the possibility of turning. AC servo Leadshine ELP 1000W controlled pulse/dir serves as 4 axis. In UCCNC it has two profiles, one for turning and the other for milling. I'm all about turning. I know that UCCNC doesn't support it, but turning is normal and I do it. Everything works properly except the threading. I understood that the UCCNC needs to read the data from the encoder. And so I would like to connect and configure it.
The ELP drive has an encoder output available. It is A+A-, B+B-, Z+Z-, OCA, OCB, OCZ and GND. I have AXBB, I will eventually expand it by one port. How and what should I connect? What should I set? I saw some A B pins and frequencies in the spindle item, but I don't know what to do with it. The motor has a 17-bit encoder. It is ELM1000FM80H-SS. Driver ELP-D1000Z AC
On page 18 is the wiring of the CN1 connector and you can see 23 to 30pin there.
(http://www.leadshineusa.com/UploadFile/ ... 200603.pdf)
Can you please advise me what is set up and what is connected where? Well, and most importantly, does it even work that way? The motor runs at 3600 strokes, the encoder is set in the initial state, i.e. 2500 pulses.
The only thing this chi is for is thread cutting. Thank you
Mrosconi

Postby cncdrive » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:57 pm

The AXBB-E users manual describes on page 26. how to connect differential signals like A+, A-, B+, B- and Z+ and Z-.
Also it is described how to connect NPN signals (Open collector) OCA, OCB, OCZ.
http://cncdrive.com/downloads/AXBB_E_manual.pdf

You need to connect the differential or the open collector signals. A and B and the Index (Z) channel and configure them in UCCNC as spindle encoder.

There is an issue though that if the encoder has so high frequency 2500 pulses then the max. rotational speed will be low, because the encoder read frequency is about 50kHz max.
So, then the max. RPM the AXBB-E can read will be about 1200 RPM.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Hardware