uccnc 400eth with wlan stick

This Section is for users to discuss hardware

Re: uccnc 400eth with wlan stick

Postby neptunier » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:44 pm

i checked the latency, see image. the peaks go up to 20ms from time to time.
computer is an older intel dual core with 2 x 1,8 ghz, graphics is nvidia gforce 210 with the driver from the nvidia site.
ram usage is about 650mb from 2000mb and cpu is between 4 and 14%. so i guess that should be no problem. its windows 7 home premium.
Attachments
latency.jpg
neptunier

Postby cncdrive » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:36 am

Well, it does not look very good. Since the peak goes up to 20msec it is possible that there are longer peaks too which then causes the communication problem and disconnection.
I would try it with a faster computer to cross this out as the possible cause for the problem. If you have one other newer/better PC at hands then you could do it quickly.
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Robertspark » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:25 am

neptunier wrote:i checked the latency, see image. the peaks go up to 20ms from time to time.
........ so i guess that should be no problem. its windows 7 home premium.

That IS a problem.... Remember you want things like macro loops and macros to run consistently.... And they are a 20ms loop ~ ~

You may have something polling in the background I'll have a look at what apps and what processes you have running... As you have a USB wlan, try removing that and check if the latency improves and does not spike. Check / disable Bluetooth is you have it.

What hard disk do you have?.... You may want to consider trying a solid state drive as any reeds and writes will be faster... And windows loves it's swap file.

The cost of an SSD would not be lost in my opinion as you can move it to the next machine. I just use SSD throughout now (I have a pile of disk drives now :cry: :?
Robertspark

Postby cncdrive » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:37 am

The connection disconnects if too many neighbour packets are missing or corrupted. If the latency is bad then the controller will not get data for too long time (missing packets) and so it will not respond and then it disconnects itself and the software will also disconnect, because it sees no reply. Without data the motion controller ofcourse can't work, it can't generate motion, does not know what to do and so for safety it disconnects...
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby neptunier » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:14 am

i tried now another computer, an i5 and everything worked directly. latency a few milliseconds.
when i bought the older computer for the uccnc software i followed the recommendations given in the manual. dual core 1,8 ghz, at least 2gb ram and open gl 1.3.
i am a little dissapointed that i have to buy another computer now and all this setup work again.
so what would you suggest what i need as another computer? i'd like to keep it as simple as possible, but not too simple ;-) i have hp tc4400 notebook with 2 x 1,83 ghz laying arround which i could use. thats good old buisiness quality.
neptunier

Postby ger21 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:17 pm

It may be as simple as changing the network adapter or video card?
Can you use a PCI or PCIe network card? You can pick them up for $10-$15, and they'll probably work a lot better than a USB adapter.
And you can get used video cards cheap on Ebay.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby neptunier » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:29 pm

i tried now another laptop, a hp probook 4710s with a Intel Core 2 Duo T6570. this seems to work fine, also together with the wlan network. the latency shows spikes of about 10ms every now and then.
so maybe i just had bad luck with the other dual core pc? or could maybe another ethernet card with a dedicated win7 driver could do the trick?
neptunier

Postby neptunier » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:34 pm

gerry, there is a pci network card installed, but it uses the win7 driver. there is no win7 driver from intel for this card: Intel® PRO/1000 GT Desktop-Adapter. the onboard lan is deactivated in the bios.
maybe i should find a pci network card that has a win7 driver from the manufacturer of that card? i was running the latency test just with that network card. wlan was deactivated for the test.
neptunier

Postby ger21 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:42 pm

Try the onboard lan.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby neptunier » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:05 pm

i activated the onboard lan, found a win7 dedicated driver and the latency test shows better results. there are spikes occasionally coming up to the 20ms mark. i ran a half hour programm at full speed with no problems.

the pci lan card i activated and use it for the nas. however on programm startup it sometimes says no connection.

can i leave it like that for the time being and be safe with the machine? am i right the worst thing that could happen is that the machine stopps milling when connection would be lost? if just that would happen i could try further and maybe then look for another computer.

thanks again for all your help,
michael
neptunier

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware