UCCNC and Neuron Lite

This is the place to talk about and share things related to CNC plasma machines using UCCNC

UCCNC and Neuron Lite

Postby mighty_mike015 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:58 pm

Does anybody know of any good documentation for using UCCNC with Neuron Lite THC? There's alot or randomness throughout the internet that I have seen and without having the hardware and software in front of me it is hard to completely verify and understand what is relevant and what is not. Wiring seems pretty simple and straight forward. What will I need to get all the Neuron settings into UCCNC? Simple configuration load? Are the macros listed in the UCCNC manual relevant for using Neuron? Any sample code anyone can provide so I can build a post processor for Mastercam?

I had completely different plans, but if UCCNC and Neuron are working together, that seems more logical to go with. I have zero experience with either one of these products at this point so please bear with me until some light bulb goes off and it makes sense to how simply or complicated it is to actually marry these two together.

Thanks,
Mike
mighty_mike015

Re: UCCNC and Neuron Lite

Postby Robertspark » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:01 pm

Mike,

Have you contacted Andrew Shad at Neuron THC?

If so, I'd ask him for access to the dropbox account and you will get a complete profile for the Neuron + UCCNC + sheetcam post processors.

That would be the place to start Once you have a working setup then the manual comes into play for the settings.
Robertspark

Postby mighty_mike015 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:40 pm

Thanks Robert,

I have been emailing him on and off for about a week. I think we just haven't clicked and fully understand each other. I'm still awaiting a response from my email yesterday. I'll see what he has next.

I installed the demo UCCNC and looked around briefly and also opened the macro folder. I am a Gcode programmer and not a computer programmer so the coding I found in the macros is a turn off. Same reason I don't like Mach. I had a friend get a Mach setup "working" for me on my current plasma and it works, but it's pretty hokey and unstable. I like playing with custom macros and dynamic programming of Gcode, but my main goal is for it to just work. I'd rather spend time cutting parts then laboring through computer programming.

Sorry if that sounds like a bitch session. I've been trying to take in a lot of information lately.

Thanks,
Mike
mighty_mike015

Postby Robertspark » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:59 pm

The macros are quite easy in UCCNC, there are some basic rules and most easy things can be done very simply.

If you want something doing / help with something just ask on here and someone will help

I enjoy writing macros as it keeps my hand in with the code.

in my signature below is a link to a macro manual which will be helpful for you.

C# is not the same as [cypress] visual basic as per mach3

C# does have a few more syntax rules..... eg. the colon ";"

For the neuron,

Do you have access to this link?:
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Neuron%20F ... %20Version

Andrew may need to give you permission
Within there is all the files you need.

Basically just install UCCNC in the default location.
Copy the files from the dropbox link and extract the folder contents to c:\uccnc\ and it will add in the neuron screenset and all the other bits it needs.

You then load uccnc, and swich screens to uccnc profile and it will restart as the Neuron Lite (if you dont have a UC300eth or UC400ETH you will need to select either one of those motion controllers).

Happy to help with post processors (the neuron is VERY easy as it does not require much..... just XY motion + M3 and M5 and if you want the THC ON & off
Robertspark

Postby mighty_mike015 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:32 pm

Thanks Robert,

I'll ask Andrew for access to that folder.

So do I need the M205-M212 macros in the post?
Just simple, move to start XY, M3, XY motions, M5 ?

Does UCCNC watch the motion profile and command the THC on and off/ hold / anti-dive for the corner decel and accell portions of the cut? Or is that only in the NC file (that SheetCAM does on its own)?

I will take a gander at your macro manual. Thanks.

Mike
mighty_mike015

Postby Robertspark » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:40 pm

I'll go though it later this evening (UK time)... Wife kids dinner ...
Robertspark

Postby mighty_mike015 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:02 pm

No rush Robert; family comes first. I appreciate all your help.

Mike
mighty_mike015

Postby Robertspark » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:38 pm

The Neuron Lite only has one (1) digital input interface with UCCNC, all other control is via ethernet communication between UCCNC and the Neuron Lite THC.

It only needs one input really if you think about it.

The Neuron controls all Z axis motion. It controls the Z axis motion through receiving the M3 command from uccnc (via ethernet), and then the ARC OK from the plasma cutter and then at the end of the cut receiving the M5 command from uccnc (via ethernet).

The neuron also receives other information from UCCNC regarding the cut via ethernet at the start of the cut, this information is the setpoint voltage (or sense and hold), pierce height, pierce delay and cut height, and the THC responsiveness ..... these are all of the changeable information that would change based upon the material and thickness you are cutting.

There is also what may could call static information, that is the stuff that does not change dependent upon the material or its thickness that you are cutting (the stuff that controls the Z-axis, steps, puddle jump etc etc), this information can be changed.... but its normally set and forget once you have it setup.

The one digital input from UCCNC to the Neuron Lite does one thing....... it will inhibit THC ...... i.e. it will lock / inhibit motion of the the z-axis

So in UCCNC we would call this via M205/M206 which will turn THC / AVC on M205 and off M206 in sync with motion.

You will not need to use M207-M212 or M10/M11 or M10.1 to M10.10..... these are only required if you have a THC which outputs THCUP and THCDN motion to UCCNC to control the Z-axis via the UC motion controllers (or the new ABB-E combined motion controller and BoB).
Robertspark

Postby Robertspark » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:44 pm

So as you noted earlier motion would be:

XY move to start position
M3 (neuron does torch fire, pierce, and issues the arc OK to neuron).
XY motion around the cut.....
if you want to enable THC / AVC then issue M205....
if you want to inhibit THC / AVC at corners or arcs then issue M206...
XY motion to end of the cut
M5 (neuron will extinguish torch and retract to safe height [setting in setup of the neuron plugin])

XY move to next start position
M3..... etc

So your post processor only needs its XY motion and M3 for torch on, and M5 for torch off and M205 for THC ON and M206 for THC OFF

In sheetcam M205 and M206 can be added via snippets (so slow down for arcs of diameter of less than xxx and sharp corners etc).

in sheetcam M3 is called with the pendown() function and M5 will be called with the penup() function.
Robertspark

Postby mighty_mike015 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Ok, Just so I am 100% understanding. The M3 only senses material, pierces, issues ARC ok to continue XY motion. If I want any THC at all then the M205 must be called as well? By default the M3 will not vary Z height with XY motion? The M205 will enable that?

Can you elaborate more on the new AXBB_E board option; how it would then incorporate more of the macros? That is the one I figure I would go with. Whether I need all the bells and whistles is up for debate. Looks like the M209 would be very handy.

Thanks
mighty_mike015

Next

Return to CNC Plasma