ProbeIt for UCCNC

This is where you talk about Plugins. How they are made and how they work, show examples.

Re: ProbeIt for UCCNC

Postby CL_MotoTech » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:50 am

Well, I'm an idiot. As best I can tell I downloaded the most recent update and never completed the install. I have the file downloaded and moved into the folder I store all my current instals in, but it looks like I am still on .009 which would explain the persistent issue with the boss probing. I'll be back in the shop tomorrow for (sadly) my last day of layoff. Lots of little projects to give version .01 on.
CL_MotoTech

Postby thegreatwaldo » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:37 pm

Hi Eric

I was just wondering if there has been any movement on the probeit for uccnc plugin recently ?

Cheers
Andrew
Stay safe !
thegreatwaldo

Postby eabrust » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:46 pm

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the poke/prod. I _was_ working on it and have a number of bug fixes and some additions for corner probing added in as of mid-May... then I got side-tracked with a construction project at home that is still consuming most of my time.... I haven't really been able to work in the shop in two months now.

So short answer is yes, I have some improvements readied in the plugin, but due to lack of time to go and do testing I haven't put it into an installer or updated the download file yet ...

The primary new functionality added is just related to adding inside and 'non-square' corners in the basic probing section:
PIt Corners.gif

Bug fixes are mostly related to the viewer added into the plugin.

Are there any particular bug fixes or additions you're looking for? input from users is definitely helpful.

regards
Eric
CraftyCNC: Plugins for UCCNC (and other neat stuff): http://www.craftycnc.com/plugins-for-uccnc/
eabrust

Postby thegreatwaldo » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:06 pm

Hi ERic
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've had very little time with the cnc at home and i'll be putting together a new cnc machine with an axbbe-e controller. I thought I would just ask. There's no rush.
Stay safe !
Cheers
Andrew
Ps the cheap Chinese corona masks are pretty good in the workshop !
thegreatwaldo

Postby eabrust » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:51 pm

ProbeIt for UCCNC has been updated to v. 1.011 and is available for download here: http://www.craftycnc.com/probeit-for-uccnc/

Updates in v 1.011:
-Added new corner routines: Inside corner, Angled Inside corner, Angled outside corner
-Bug fixes, most have to do with 3D viewer
-Modified calibration routine to use the ring gauge ID as the ‘probe distance’

Installer will not overwrite your existing settings (probeit.xml) file, but I'd recommend saving a copy of your settings somewhere, or copy the entire ProbeIt folder out as a backup should you want to revert back to the prior version. When installing, point the installer to the UCCNC directory (top level), not the plugins folder:

As always, feature requests, comments, and bug reports welcome, its still a work in progress.

regards,
Eric
CraftyCNC: Plugins for UCCNC (and other neat stuff): http://www.craftycnc.com/plugins-for-uccnc/
eabrust

Postby eabrust » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:19 pm

ProbeIt for UCCNC has been updated to v. 2.000 and is available for download here: http://www.craftycnc.com/probeit-for-uccnc/

Updates in V2.000:
1/10/2021
-New Viewer based upon OpenTK, used to view DXF data, point clouds, and perimeters/grids in surface probing.
-Control of Layers and colors in DXF. Create/rename/delete & change colors
-separate NetDXF.dll no longer required (library modified and built into ProbeIt)
-DXF files optimized for use w/ VCarve or Lightburn. Opens files exported from those programs, and saves files they open.
-Improvements to the ‘surface probing’ routines. Probed point clouds are now shown in the 3D viewer, and creation of the 'grid' is improved and viewable in 3D
-Jog Probing now has a mode to record ‘trail’, jog around freehand and record to DXF
-Many ‘under the hood’ fixes, resulting in lower CPU usage, bug fixes, etc
-Can set a custom ‘button code’ number to open the plugin via hotkey or user button. TO setup, use 'config' button in UCCNC plugin window.

Installer will not overwrite your existing settings (probeit.xml) file, but I'd recommend saving a copy of your settings somewhere, or copy the entire ProbeIt folder out as a backup should you want to revert back to the prior version. When installing, point the installer to the UCCNC directory (top level), not the plugins folder:

The probing functionality is the same as prior version, with the exception of adding 'record trail' to jog probe. This revision is mainly about fixes, improves stability, and the viewer update.

If you used the prior versions until the demo expired, this install should re-enable demo-mode to allow full functionality to give it another checkout.

As always, feature requests, comments, and bug reports welcome, its still a work in progress.

ProbeIt new viewer.JPG

regards,
Eric
eabrust

Postby CL_MotoTech » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:52 am

Thank you! I have recommended this plugin to so many people! I have no idea if there is any follow through on that, but I use ProbeIt 5 days a week.

I really need to get into the point cloud routines more. I have a part I'd like to probe and then model, but I am just not very well versed in this process. Using ProbeIt seems to be the easy part, it's making a model part that keeps me from doing it.
CL_MotoTech

Postby CL_MotoTech » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:59 am

Also, I mentioned a long time ago the ability to set Z0 via the touch off. Any chance of implementation there?

I always use T11 as my probe. I enter M6 T11 in MDI, the machine then offloads whatever tool it has to the ATC, then requests I manually input T11 to the spindle (only 10 tools in the ATC). I complete the manual tool change. Then I use ProbeIt to set my offsets. There is no reason why I couldn't set Z0 using the probing function, T11 tool length is saved in the tool table. This would further streamline my setup operation. As is, I do the probing to get X0 and Y0, then I touch off old school style with a physical tool and a piece of paper (sucks with coolant). The nice thing about this method is that it's not a "water line" method, so repeatability of the Z homing switch really doesn't matter much. As long as the tool table accurately represents the tool lengths the results should be spot on.

Anyways, I'll get this update installed tomorrow evening.
CL_MotoTech

Postby eabrust » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:10 pm

Hi Chris, hope things are well for you.

Regarding Z0 touch off, I don't know why you can't touch off Z right now w/ ProbeIt. UCCNC is in control of the tool offset table, ProbeIt has no idea about tools, what tool is loaded, etc. The only thing ProbeIt knows is which G5x coordinate system is active, and what are the coordinates in the X/Y/Z DROs. Maybe I just need to clarify the manual regarding the ZAxis control buttons a bit.

So if you load your probe and hit M6T11 in UCCNC MDI box, then while you are in ProbeIt all you should have to do is have '0.00' entered in the 'ZSurface value' input box, and hit the 'set z surface' button. It will probe to surface, and set the Z dro to be 0.00 at the probe tip (unless you have the checkbox ticked to set it to ball center!). You can ignore that LED that says 'Z Set/Z Not Set' for your purpose there of job setup. That LED being green/red is more a toggle used within ProbeIt to determine if z-data recorded into the DXF should be at the value the Z-DRO has, or if it should be the value in that 'z-surface box'.
ztouch.JPG
ztouch.JPG (20.4 KiB) Viewed 8490 times

Then when you go back to UCCNC, when you M6 to your next tool, you should be good based on your tool length offset UCCNC knows, right? The only thing I think you're missing is either buttons or an MDI input box to change your loaded tool from within ProbeIt, so you have to toggle back and forth to UCCNC for that.

Sorry, I'm not an ATC/fixed tool user. If I'm not getting the question or missing what your asking for, let me know. I'm pretty dense some days, especially after work :)

regards,
Eric
eabrust

Postby CL_MotoTech » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:39 pm

Well... Maybe I am a dingus and just didn't notice that it was setting Z0. I'll also note, I haven't read the manual since you first released this. Once I got familiar with the buttons and setup that I need I just never looked back.

I have always changed to a tool on the ATC and then used the paper method to set Z0. I am fairly certainly the coordinate did in fact change in the DRO (not just a small fraction but big amount), so perhaps I need to verity I have the correct tool length saved for my probe. I'll also check that value you highlighted, I honestly don't know what I have it set to.

Thanks!

I hope you and your loved ones are well in these tough times!
CL_MotoTech

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins