Static constructor to get port name ???

This is where you talk about Plugins. How they are made and how they work, show examples.

Static constructor to get port name ???

Postby beefy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:55 pm

VS SCREENSHOT.png

This one has been kicking my ass.

I create a new SerialPort instance easy enough. However, I want to get the port name from a DRO instead of just writing it in the plugin code like this:
Code: Select all
SerialPort MyPort = new SerialPort("COM1");

I used the example plugin and made the changes shown in the screenshot. Wherever I added code I commented "// MY CHANGES".

As can be seen, I'm getting the red squiggly line under "UC", in the static constructor.

I used a static constructor because I read that it runs at the beginning of the class instanciation, before any class members are created, and therefore thought I could use that to get the port name from the DRO before the SerialPort object is created.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong.

Keith
beefy

Re: Static constructor to get port name ???

Postby Dan911 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:41 am

Put in a method than call it.

Code: Select all
public void serialport()
 {

SerialPort MyPort = new SerialPort();

MyPort.PortName = UC.Getfield(true,3000);
    MyPort.BaudRate = Convert.ToInt32(UC.Getfield(true, 3001));// or MyPort.BaudRate = 9600;
    MyPort.Open();
    MyPort.Write("test");

}
Dan911

Postby dezsoe » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Keith,

Your problem is underlined on your picture. When the constructor is called, the UC variable has no value. You could read the DRO in the Init_event or in the Loop_event at the Firstrun section.
dezsoe

Postby beefy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:28 pm

Thanks for the replies Dan & Dezsoe,

As suggested I ended up doing it in the "firstrun" method and seems good.

After some further Googling on the matter, it seems I was trying to call an "instance method" (UC.) from a static method (i.e. the static constructor), and this cannot be done in C#.

The error thrown was:
CS0120: An object reference is required for the nonstatic field, method, or property ............

Keith.
beefy

Postby Dan911 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:49 pm

You Beat me to the punch...Lol Yes UC. cannot be used in a static method, thought my example spoke for itself. Didn't bother giving other suggestions because wasn't sure what you were trying to achieve.

Dan
Dan911

Return to Plugins