Diagonal movement button

Here is where you can request new features or special features.

Re: Diagonal movement button

Postby johnsattuk » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:35 pm

cncdrive wrote:In other words you can make diagonal jogging to work, but it will be not perfect.

Hi
Are you saying that the diagonal movement will not be a perfect 45deg, which would not matter for a jogging movement which just gets the tool close to where you want it
Or are you saying that the DRO's would be wrong and the M/C has lost position
johnsattuk

Postby fixebr » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:04 am

cncdrive wrote:In other words you can make diagonal jogging to work, but it will be not perfect.

I do not understand. The overwhelming number of our G-CODE use simultaneous movement under 2 axes, and with 3D milling and 3 axes. There is no problem, and the path is flat from the point of start to the point of the finish?
My English is bad, so you're reading machine translation results. Alas.
fixebr

Postby eabrust » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:42 am

I think when Balazs says it 'will not be perfect', what he is implying is that if you started at 0,0 exactly and started jogging diagonal, it is not guaranteed to pass through 1,1; 2,2; .... 10,10, etc... and also that if you reversed the jog in the opposite diagonal direction, you are not guaranteed to pass through 0,0 again.

I don't think anyone that wanted it for pure 'jogging' purposes would care about precision and repeatability of that level, as Johnsattuk mentions, it is desired for relatively rough moving.

at least that is my interpretation.

regards,
Eric
CraftyCNC: Plugins for UCCNC (and other neat stuff): http://www.craftycnc.com/plugins-for-uccnc/
eabrust

Postby cncdrive » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:33 am

Hi Eric,

Yes, exactly. Because in the API you can start jogging with one axis only one time it is not guaranteed that the jog will be exactly diagonal. It is possible that there will be small position differences at the end, e.g. 1.1, 1.12; 3.5, 3.47 etc.
The API can stop all axis jogging one time, but that is also not a solution to the problem, because what if the user wants to jog XYZ with keyboard, then diagonal XY stop would stop also the Z even if the user is still holding the Z axis jogging keyboard key down.
So, the only solution to implement this to be perfect is if we will implement multi-axis jog start and stop in the motion control API.
However the question is if it worth the time to do that?
cncdrive
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Feature Request