Non Windows Controller?

Here is where you can request new features or special features.

Non Windows Controller?

Postby paulmacc21 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:51 pm

Have purchased a AXBB-E and like the controller and software, but don't like having to use a windows computer to run it! Why not a stand alone controller? Could use the AXBB and connect to an Android or even Arduino board, then you would have a fast booting, no crap, all in one controller like the MASSO from Hind Technology.

Just a thought :D :?:
paulmacc21

Re: Non Windows Controller?

Postby ger21 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:22 pm

My windows PC starts in about 10 seconds, and UCCNC blows away the Masso.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:32 pm

An Android or Arduino controller would be not powerful enough to do the things, especially the graphics what the UCCNC requires.
Also both require totally different programming language and the UCCNC was written in C# with many Windows API calls, so it would be not easy to port it to other operating system.
We could probably port if to Linux with lots of work, but there is LinuxCNC for Linux users, so...
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby paulmacc21 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:49 am

Yes, UCCNC certainly has a lot more features than the MASSO, something that will probably lead to me swapping my Masso for the AXBB-E( Though the Masso does have a lot more I/O ). But it is nice not having to deal with a Operating system, be it windows or Linux with the Masso, very fast setup. I guess the trade off for a simpler system without windows OS is less features. ;)

Having the new screenset in 1.2112 makes a big difference, just so much more readable, for me anyway. Look forward to playing with it. :)
paulmacc21

Postby ger21 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:29 pm

something that will probably lead to me swapping my Masso for the AXBB-E( Though the Masso does have a lot more I/O )

Get a UC300ETH if you need more I/O.
Gerry
UCCNC 2022 Screenset - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2022.html
ger21

Postby cncdrive » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:28 pm

Does the Masso have more than 85 I/Os? The UC300ETH has that many. :)
cncdrive
Site Admin

Postby Battwell » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:31 pm

85 io plus 55 for each arduino mega connected via modbus. (which works great)
Uc300eth on router and mill.
UK uccnc powered machine sales. https://cncrouter.uk/atc-cnc-routers.htm
Automateanything/duzzit cnc/mercury cnc
Battwell

Postby paulmacc21 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:18 pm

Yes I know :) the UC300 has many more inputs and even the AXBB-E has expansion for more via the expansion port 3. I was just comparing the two with screw terminal connections, which make easy setup for the less experienced, no ribbon cables, BOBs etc. , something that attracted me to both the Masso and the AXBB-E, so I bought both to try. But am finding now the Masso while a good unit, is very limited in features compared to the UCCNC software and being a closed system, doesn't allow for the screensets, wizards, macros, plugins etc. than UCCNC has.

Anyway it was just a suggestion that appealed to me and still does, but I will look for a nice micro PC and stick that in the control box with the AXBB-E and have some more fun :D
paulmacc21

Return to Feature Request